Difficulty resizing columns in rstudio table view pane

I find a pretty stable and reliable bug in the View implementation for larger tables - when trying to resize columns containing a lot of text. Basically the resize operation fails if you drag the mouse pointer too quickly, when widening columns with a lot of text in them. If I drag it very slowly it works fine. A tiny bit too fast and the 'grip' on the column edge is lost and it reverts to original width.

It doesn't even have to be a very big dataset - I'm currently struggling to make the character column wider for a data_frame of just 200 rows (but the column has over 100 chars on average). Very frustrating if you're working interactively and need to quickly eyeball your outputs.

Two things would be great wrt column resizing:

1. fix this bug please!
  2. implement some other complementary method for resizing - e.g. maybe maximise column width as far as screen will allow when double clicking on edge of column header?

I'm running RStudio 1.1.456 on Mac 10.14

2 Likes

I have noticed the issue for a while and it has been driving me crazy. The last column is really hard to resize. The other columns I can resize some but there is still empty unused space in the view panel and I cannot enlarge the columns to fill it.

I'm using 1.2.1163 on Mac 10.13.6, have noticed this issue for many months on previous released on RStudio

Would you mind filing this as a bug report at https://github.com/rstudio/rstudio/issues?