Displaying Malayalam string in R studio, improper positioning of cursor

Hi All,

I am new to R and R studio. While learning R and R studio, I noticed a possible bug in the display of Malayalam strings.

If you type "കഖഗഘ" at the R studio console, the cursor is seen after "കഖഗ (to be exact, the cursor is seen blinking a bit after the start of ഘ). But, the cursor functions as if it is at the end of the string. For example, if you press backspace, the ending quote is deleted, not ഗ. Selecting the entire string will show only the first three letters and the opening quote as selected though in reality the entire string is selected.

This appears like a problem of calculating the width of Malayalam characters (may be other languages too). If you look carefully, the cursor is not placed correctly even after 1 Malayalam character and the distance at which the cursor is placed from the end of the string increases as the length of the string increases.

Is this a bug or am I forgetting any settings?

Thanks,
ajith

This is indeed a bug in RStudio. Unfortunately, the editor we use has trouble displaying certain unicode characters (especially non-monospace characters).

Would you mind filing this as a bug report at https://github.com/rstudio/rstudio/issues, so we don't lose track of this?

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have reported the issue as instructed.
ajith

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.