Distill - configuration problem

Distill | YAML - documentation?

Trying to set up very simple blog with Distill (and github pages).
Lots of tutorials. So I have no problem with .Rmd in the root directory.
These are handled just fine ... all good.

But rmarkdown::render(".") seems to ignore the .Rmd files in my posts/ directory. (see below).
It must be some simple configuration/yaml, but I can not find it.

Any suggestions for documentation?
Note: I do not use Rstudio.
Thx.

blog4/

• index.Rmd
  • about.Rmd
  • _site.yml
  • _posts/ <--- ignored by render()
1 Like

Yes. I found this annoying too. After trying to get it to work for hours, I am starting to think that's how is supposed to be. Each post or Rmd is to be rendered individually using rmarkdown::render() and then rmarkdown::render_site() seems to just copy them into the export directory I think. It behaves differently from the regular Rmarkdown website. It would make more sense if they left it at the default behaviour and added knit=FALSE or something inside rmarkdown::render_site() to avoid building the Rmds.

Anyhow, this is my understanding, but looking forward to some explanation.

1 Like

Yes- this is documented behavior by design, some info here: Distill for R Markdown: Creating a Blog

2 Likes

That's it! You must separately (manually or otherwise) knit posts.

After this line:

create_post("The Sharpe Ratio", draft = TRUE)

(Emphasis added)

You work on blog posts independent of the enclosing website (use Knit to render and preview the post just like any R Markdown document). This is in fact the only way to update post content — posts are considered standalone documents that are not re-rendered when the site is built. This is because posts are often expensive to render and have R package dependencies that may be difficult to satisfy as time goes on.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.