`??` documentation search stopped working

Hi all!

Here's a bit of a weird one: I just noticed that my ??<term> search does not work anymore in RStudio (1.2.1335). I only get the "search results" page with "No results found". (For example, ??anova used to yield dozens of results.)

?<function_name> works fine in RStudio.
?? works when running an R session in a terminal.

My session details:

R version 3.6.0 (2019-04-26)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
Running under: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS

Matrix products: default
BLAS:   /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openblas/libblas.so.3
LAPACK: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libopenblasp-r0.2.20.so

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=en_AU.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C               LC_TIME=en_AU.UTF-8       
 [4] LC_COLLATE=en_AU.UTF-8     LC_MONETARY=en_AU.UTF-8    LC_MESSAGES=en_AU.UTF-8   
 [7] LC_PAPER=en_AU.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C                  LC_ADDRESS=C              
[10] LC_TELEPHONE=C             LC_MEASUREMENT=en_AU.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C       

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base     

loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
 [1] compiler_3.6.0  htmltools_0.3.6 tools_3.6.0     yaml_2.2.0      Rcpp_1.0.1      rmarkdown_1.13 
 [7] knitr_1.23      xfun_0.7        digest_0.6.19   evaluate_0.13  

I couldn't find a similar problem online. Any idea what might have gone wrong?

1 Like

Same behaviour on windows 10

Nothing you did. I can reproduce the problem in Ubuntu and Mojave. I thought it might have been a failure to start the http help server, but the Help tab works and you can even use the search box equivalent to ??. My guess is that ?? isn't passing its argument.

Ah glad I'm not the only one! I can confirm the help.search() (which ?? is a shortcut for) fails to return results, but only from the RStudio console.

I also tested with RKward to compare with another program using the HTML browser to display documentation, and help.search() (or ??) works as expected.

I've referred our problem to the proper authorities and we will probably see something soon.

1 Like

This is related to this issue:

There is a similar thread:

2 Likes

Thanks for the bug reports, everyone. We're hoping to prepare a new v1.2 RStudio release with a fix for this issue soon.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.