Does CRAN accept Unix only packages?

I used rcpp and imported a C library to R. However that C library is only runnable on POSIX-compatible system, which basically means Mac + Linux. My question is that if this package can't be built on Windows, will CRAN accept it or will it just be a github only project (which is totally fine)? Thanks! :wink:

1 Like

Automated build test on Windows is the first step of CRAN acceptance process. It must pass without Errors or Warnings.

I know about this package that is obviously only available for non windows
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/unix/

So I think this is possible.

2 Likes

Looking at that package's test results, it's not tested on Windows systems. Further investigation reveals OS-specific packages are allowed, but frowned upon if the author just didn't try for cross-platform compatibility.

The CRAN Repository Policy:

Package authors should make all reasonable efforts to provide cross-platform portable code. Packages will not normally be accepted that do not run on at least two of the major R platforms. Cases for Windows-only packages will be considered, but CRAN may not be the most appropriate place to host them.

From Writing R Extensions 1.1.1: The DESCRIPTION file:

The ‘OS_type’ field specifies the OS(es) for which the package is intended. If present, it should be one of unix or windows , and indicates that the package can only be installed on a platform with ‘.Platform$OS.type’ having that value.

2 Likes

@jlacko @cderv @nwerth Thanks a lot for the answers! I will give it a try once I finalize this thing.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.