Environmental BoF at rstudio::conf 2020

Hosted by @jcblum
When: Thursday 10:00-10:30 AM Break
Where: RStudio Community Booth
Keywords: environmental, ecology, wildlife

Where is that?

Interested?

If you'd like to get notifications about this group, be sure that you are "Watching" this topic-thread.

If you would like to focus on a specific topic within this category, or ensure you are connecting with the right folks, reply below, discuss, and share widely!

What is a Birds of a Feather Session? Learn more at the BoF Directory

6 Likes

Update: We’ll be meeting at the Community Booth, which is the space surrounding the big pillar that says “Community”, just behind the conference registration desk in Yosemite. See you there!

Hi! :wave:

I’m very much looking forward to hosting the Environment BoF :grinning: Our topic area is pretty big, so if there’s anything in particular you’re hoping to talk about or connect with others on, let us know in the comments!

I’d also like to invite you to use this space to introduce yourself ahead of the BoF (if you feel comfortable doing so). I’ll go first :sweat_smile:.

I’m at the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center’s California outpost, where I work on the sometimes gnarly process of using historical data to better understand how changes in commercial shipping have influenced marine/estuarine non-native species in San Francisco Bay. I’m most excited to hear about all the cool R and data stuff I know the rest of you Environment Birds are up to (hey, we’re a… parrot? :parrot: Someone correct me, I’m a marine invert zoologist, not a bird nerd :sweat_smile:)!

Safe travels!

1 Like

I'm excited about this BoF! I do research on trace metal contamination in lakes with and love the opportunities that R opens up for investigations of contaminated sites and spatial long range transport of pollution. Thanks @jcblum for hosting!

2 Likes

Super excited about this!

I'm a Data Scientist in DC for an energy startup. I use R primarily on IoT data to see if I can suss out areas to make equipment improvements, and/or help decide when repairs are necessary.

Many thanks for hosting, @jcblum!

2 Likes

Hi all! I'm very much looking forward to this group- I currently work in the insurance industry but have a background in/am looking to eventually circle back to the environmental field. I'm excited to hear what other folks are doing with R & data science in this industry.

2 Likes

I think we lucked in @jcblum; the bird looks like a kakapo to me!

I am the consulting statistician for the College of Forestry at OSU and so I work with students and faculty on research across a wide range of natural resources sciences, from wildlife to hydrology and everything in between. I like to keep my "ear to the ground" to hear how folks are using R in related fields. :smiley:

Bummed I missed out on the pin!

1 Like

We’ll have some more at the BoF, so all is not lost yet!

1 Like

My name is Ryan, looking forward to meeting folks! I’m a postdoc at the Center for Watershed Sciences at UC Davis. I work with lots of different projects in hydrology, genomics, and ecology. I really enjoy teaching as well, and am a Carpentries instructor and co-coordinator for our local R users group.

1 Like

Thanks for coming out, it was great to see you all! :grinning:

I’m sorry we got a bit mobbed by the post-keynote crowd. If you didn’t get an Environment BoF pin, I’ll be at the Community pillar in Yosemite from 12:00pm - 12:15pm — come say hi!

Finally, I’d like to invite anyone who hasn’t introduced themselves yet to chime in, if you are comfortable doing so — even if you didn’t make it to the BoF! Let’s keep connecting :grin:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.