error attaching rstanarm: Error in library.dynam(lib, package, package.lib) : shared object ‘rstanarm.so’ not found

In my VBox Ubuntu 16.04 desktop, running RStudio most recent update, I tried to attach the rstanarm library, but it failed with the following error:
Error in library.dynam(lib, package, package.lib) :
shared object ‘rstanarm.so’ not found

There is no lock on the rstanarm directory. I just used this program yesterday with no problems. Any thoughts what the problem is now? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Larry Hunsicker

Update: I just tried to reinstall rstanarm. The reinstall led to an abend of R a lot of red lines after recomiling binomial.o.
I just updated rstan successfully. Is it possible that something in that update left rstanarm in limbo?

What happens if you remove both and then try to re-install them again?

Note: package installation issues are almost always R problems, not RStudio IDE problems, so unless you are sure the IDE is somehow involved, the best place for them is in #general.

(This also applies more generally: The #rstudio-ide category is for problems specific to the IDE itself. You can always try whatever it is you’re doing in R outside of RStudio — if you have the same issue, then it’s not an IDE-related problem)