ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘rlang’

Hello,

I am trying to compile 'rlang' in order to get 'ggplot2' but get a compilation error during the process. Here is the error and the last command that is used before it. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

e -pipe -c version.c -o version.o
/usr/local/opt/llvm/bin/clang -fopenmp -dynamiclib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -undefined dynamic_lookup -single_module -multiply_defined suppress -L/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib -L/usr/local/opt/gettext/lib -L/usr/local/opt/llvm/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/opt/llvm/lib -o rlang.so capture.o export.o internal.o lib.o version.o -F/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/.. -framework R -Wl,-framework -Wl,CoreFoundation
ld: unknown option: -platform_version
clang-10: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make: *** [rlang.so] Error 1
ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘rlang’

compilation can be tricky. Is there a reason to compile from source yourself than use a compiled binary ?
for compilation help it will be important to know things like your Operating System.

I am running on Mac os mojave 10.14.6.

If i try install.packages("ggplot") I get the following:

There are binary versions available but the source versions are later:
        binary source needs_compilation
rlang    0.1.6  0.4.5              TRUE
ggplot2  2.2.1  3.3.0             FALSE

If i choose no then I get the following error

Error in loadNamespace(i, c(lib.loc, .libPaths()), versionCheck = vI[[i]]) : 
  namespace ‘rlang’ 0.1.6 is being loaded, but >= 0.3.0 is required

So I need 0.3.0 in order to get 'ggplot2'. I also tried using a link to install 'rlang' 0.3.0 but get a message it is not available (for R version 3.3.1) which is the version I need to be using.

I think rlang 0.4.5 has been compiled for 10.1+
and can be gotten here: https://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/el-capitan/contrib/3.6/

The precompiled binaries are available only for the latest R versions, if for some reason you need to stick with R 3.3.1 you are going to have to compile, I suspect that you have y an incompatible clang version, check the oficial CRAN documentation and check that you have the proper version installed in your system.
https://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/tools/

I do need to stick with R 3.3.1. Also, had already download clang 7.0 and I believe that is the one being used and I get that error. I'm not familiar with compiling so I feel lost and I'm not sure how to tackle this problem. Should I attempt downloading clang 6 and/or 8 and try compiling with them?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.