Error connecting to Oracle Database via odbc in RStudio. Works fine from CLI R.

I am trying to establish a connection to an Oracle Database in RStudio (Version 2022.07.1 Build 554. Running on SUSE SLE15, SP4).

The connection should be established via an ldap-Server. Its address is in my ldap.ora file which is in /opt/instantclient_19/network/admin.

The code isql my_datasource does establish the connection.

Putting the following code in an R-file an executing via Rscript establishes the connection.

dbConnect(
  odbc::odbc(),
  dsn = "my_datasource",
  UID = "***",
  PWD = "***"
)

Trying to source the same script in RStudio (or RStudio Server) throws an error:

Error: nanodbc/nanodbc.cpp:1021: 00000: [Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

I've been dealing with a similar but different Oracle situation between RStudio and CLI R. Some of what I've been trying along the way might help.

Try this in both environments:

Sys.getenv(c('LD_LIBRARY_PATH', 'ORACLE_HOME', 'TNS_ADMIN'))

It may be the case you need to set some environment variables, perhaps in an ~/.Rprofile.

(My situation is rather different in that I am using ROracle instead of ODBC and that package won't load in RStudio. In my case the environment variables don't even seem to matter, but it might help in your situation?)

Thanks for your input Brian!

Based on your hint I checked the values of the three environment variables in CLI R (connection is working from there) and in rstudio (connection not working):

• TNS_ADMIN is empty in every case
  • LD_LIBRARY_PATH is identical
  • ORACLE_HOME points to /opt/instantclient_19 in the working environment. It is empty in rstudio.

I thought I had found the problem and tried the following:

• Sys.setenv(ORACLE_HOME = "/opt/instantclient_19")
  • Create a wrapper script for rstudio with export ORACLE_HOME = /opt/instantclient_19

Both attempts (and a lot of similiar messing around with environment variables) don't change anything. I still get the same error message!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.