ERROR: dependencies

Hi All,
I recently got a new computer. When I try to install a package, I am getting the following error message pasted below. I have version 3.2.2. of R. Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this?

Thanks,
Jamie

Warning: running command 'make -f "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-32~1.2/etc/i386/Makeconf" -f "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-32~1.2/share/make/winshlib.mk" SHLIB="backports.dll" OBJECTS="dotsElt.o dotsLength.o init.o"' had status 127
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'backports'

• removing 'C:/Users/jconnarn/Documents/R/win-library/3.2/backports'
    Warning in install.packages :
    installation of package ‘tidyverse’ had non-zero exit status

Is there a specific reason you have such an old version of R? Current is 3.5.3 and 3.6.0 is about to be released. If you have a chance, I can highly recommend updating R itself.

Also, since you are on Windows, you need to have Rtools to install packages the require compilation. Keep in mind that Rtools is not an R package, but external tool that you install by itself.

I don't use Windows myself, so not sure what's the best approach to install it, but I'm sure you can find some more info online.

2 Likes

This is the link for downloanding and installing Rtools
https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/Rtools/

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.