Error Deploying to shinyapps.io - Database Connection Issue Event

Hi, Andy. Must say it didn't solved the problem.

I am using a DB without any IP adresses restrictions and it does not work.

Okay. We're looking at what might be causing the continued connection issues.

2 Likes

might be premature but two of my apps are working. I'll wait for an official announcement

2 apps with connection to different DB's also started working in the last few minutes.

Working here too - just awaiting the green light that it's fixed.

Mine is still not working...

Try clicking 'Restart Application' in shinyapps.io/admin. They seem to be working again after restarting and then opening in a fresh browser

We're going to post an update to the status page soon, but I believe we've identified and fixed the issue causing the connection issues.

4 Likes

i want restart but get error
Unable to dispatch task for application=1321206, there are 1 tasks in progress

nothing yet? I guess it's not fully solved (although my apps are working, but I can't communicate it officially here. I really would like to avoid the 24h downtime...)

Still the same error...:
Error in curl::curl_fetch_memory(url, handle = handle) :
Could not resolve host: shinyapps-upload.s3.amazonaws.com
Calls: ... tryCatch -> tryCatchList -> tryCatchOne ->
Timing stopped at: 0.507 0 0.507
Execution halted

It works for me too. Thanks for your help! It was a great first experience on the community forum!

1 Like

maybe deploy still has problems, and maybe that's why there's no announcement yet.

Yes. Must be it. A lot of people waiting for me to deploy...

they sent a mail, they reverted some changes that affected us. maybe you can try again. wish you luck

I'm deploying from ubuntu. I have installed a new R version (3.6) and all packages needed for my shiny application. Nothing works. Still get the same message when trying to deploy:
Preparing to deploy application...DONE
Uploading bundle for application: 931705...Error in curl::curl_fetch_memory(url, handle = handle) :
Could not resolve host: shinyapps-upload.s3.amazonaws.com
Calls: ... tryCatch -> tryCatchList -> tryCatchOne ->
Could you please help me?

All better for me now. I can deploy again. Whew!

Have you tried to replace shinyapps-upload.s3.amazonaws.com by shinyapps-upload.s3.region.amazonaws.com where region is the current region where you bucket lives (ex : us-west-2)

According to Amazon, there has been on-going fallout from the Amazon DNS DDOS at various ISPs that is likely the cause of the name resolution errors for the shinyapps-upload S3 bucket:

Here is more information from AWS:

On October 22, 2019, we detected and then mitigated a DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack against Route 53. Due to the way that DNS queries are processed, this attack was first experienced by many other DNS server operators as the queries made their way through DNS resolvers on the internet to Route 53. The attack targeted specific DNS names and paths, notably those used to access the global names for S3 buckets.

Because this attack was widely distributed, a small number of ISPs operating affected DNS resolvers implemented mitigation strategies of their own in an attempt to control the traffic. This is causing DNS lookups through these resolvers for a small number of AWS names to fail. We are doing our best to identify and contact these operators, as quickly as possible, and working with them to enhance their mitigations so that they do not cause impact to valid requests. If you are experiencing issues, please contact us so we can work with your operator to help resolve.

1 Like