Error in list.files STRING_ELT() after updating to latest version of RStudio

Dear all,

I have an old Shiny app that runs under R 3.3.2 (going to a more recent R version is not an option atm).

I was using RStudio-1.3.1093 and everything worked fine.
After updating the IDE to RStudio-2022.02.0-443, I get the following error when trying to launch the app:

shiny::runApp()
Error in list.files(dir, all.files = TRUE, full.names = TRUE, include.dirs = TRUE) :
STRING_ELT() can only be applied to a 'character vector', not a 'NULL'

If I uninstall RStudio-2022.02.0-443 and downgrade to RStudio-1.3.1093, I can again launch the Shiny app flawlessly.
I did a few searches on this error, most of the answers point toward setting the right path for R lib, but in both cases, the .libPaths() command returns the same path ("C:/Users/xxxx/Documents/R/R-3.3.2/library").

I also want to point out that I tested this on two different computers (2 Windows: one from work with many stuff R-related installed and one personal computer where I started "fresh") and got the exact same behavior.

I really wish I could keep the latest RStudio-2022.02.0-443, because I want some of the latest R Markdown integration.

Any help is welcomed.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.