Extract selected value with "bsselectR" or alternative WITHOUT Shiny

I am trying to make a Rmarkdown flexdashboard with drop down menus which would then do subsequent filtering of data and provide updates to other objects. In the application, a shiny server is not an option. I came across bsselectR but it doesn’t appear to be able to return the "selected" value from the dropdown menu being defined.

I did find a previous post by [dienesc] in May 2018 where they eluded to creating their own custom code to do this, so it is possible.

Has anyone created their own widget that would support this type of scenario?
Has anyone used "bsselectR" and been able to determine the "selected" value that the user may choose?
Has anyone got similar code working in their repositories that may work for what I want to do?

I have tried the following code:

library(bsselectR)

quotes <- c("Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.",
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.",
"My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.",
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.")

names(quotes) <- c("Einstein", "Shakespeare", "Angelou", "Unknown")

bsselect(quotes, type = "text", live_search = TRUE, show_tick = TRUE, selected = "Shakespeare")

I am struggling on how I can get at the value selected if the user changes it to "Einstein" for example

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.