Extreme Newbie: general parsed with question

Quick background. I am extremely new to R studio. We had a colleague on our team build a bunch of process in R Studio then quite and I'm trying to pick up the pieces. I have zero R studio experience but have been in reporting for 10+ years. I have script and part of my script is just loading a CSV file. Here is the line, which I think is simple load comment. However sometimes I get a parsed with error. A couple of Questions. Is there a way to identify what is causing the parsed with error? Is it one specific data item? And will this error affect my data moving forward? Or is it just letting me know that some of the data is not in the same format that is expected (i.e there is a letter where their should be a number).

First_Time_Awarded <- read_csv("R:/Campus Operations-101200/Reporting/Right Now/Chamberlain/Awards/First Time Awarded.csv")

Hi, you are right. This line of code just loads the data into the R session. You can then check out what problems are there with

problems(First_Time_Awarded)

Also, both of these functions come from readr function and you can check out help file if you type

?readr::read_csv
?readr::problems

in your console.

And as for your questions, here is the correct answer:

Or is it just letting me know that some of the data is not in the same format that is expected (i.e there is a letter where their should be a number).

3 Likes

hey,
your code has one mistake
read.csv should be there instead of read_csv

you can use following line of code and browse to your file by yourself
First_Time_Awarded<-read.csv(choose.files())

this is the solution for loading the data other errors in your data can be identified only by looking into error or your data only.

I think that´s the problem.

This is not true at all, so I'm not sure why you would confuse OP even further. I've provided information on how to continue with this issue.

read_csv comes from readr package. It also has problems function that will print all the problems with the dataset, so there is no need to manually look into the dataset after loading to find them.

1 Like

okay,
i was really unaware of that.

Hi @jjjason10! Welcome, and I hope you'll keep asking questions :grinning:

A few more resources that might help you out here:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.