Failed to start Rstudio-server on rhel 8.3

My Machine is rhel 8.3
I installed R 4.1.0 with tar.gz file and I can able to open R from terminal without issues.
then I installed rstudio -server 1.4-1106 version.... But, it is failing to start immediately.

rstudio-server verify-installation shows --- no errors --

[root@localhost Downloads]# rstudio-server verify-installation
[root@localhost Downloads]# rstudio-server start
[root@localhost Downloads]# rstudio-server status
● rstudio-server.service - RStudio Server
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/rstudio-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2021-07-02 12:45:03 EDT; 4s ago
  Process: 50097 ExecStart=/usr/lib/rstudio-server/bin/rserver (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 50098 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jul 02 12:45:03 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: rstudio-server.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jul 02 12:45:03 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: rstudio-server.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jul 02 12:45:03 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: rstudio-server.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
Jul 02 12:45:03 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: rstudio-server.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Jul 02 12:45:03 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Stopped RStudio Server.
Jul 02 12:45:03 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: rstudio-server.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Jul 02 12:45:03 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: rstudio-server.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jul 02 12:45:03 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Failed to start RStudio Server.
[root@localhost Downloads]# systemctl start rstudio-server
[root@localhost Downloads]# systemctl status rstudio-server
● rstudio-server.service - RStudio Server
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/rstudio-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2021-07-02 12:46:14 EDT; 10s ago
  Process: 50155 ExecStart=/usr/lib/rstudio-server/bin/rserver (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 50156 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jul 02 12:46:14 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: rstudio-server.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jul 02 12:46:14 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: rstudio-server.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jul 02 12:46:14 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: rstudio-server.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
Jul 02 12:46:14 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: rstudio-server.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Jul 02 12:46:14 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Stopped RStudio Server.
Jul 02 12:46:14 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: rstudio-server.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Jul 02 12:46:14 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: rstudio-server.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
**Jul 02 12:46:14 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Failed to start RStudio Server.**
[root@localhost Downloads]# 

1 Like

Hello, I think this is very similar to your problem.
https://support.rstudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/200717193
Hope this help.

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your reply.
I see no errors when I run the below command. You can also see it at first line on the uploaded image.

sudo rstudio-server verify-installation

My path is also correct and located

/usr/local/bin/R

I don't have AppArmor profile As I am using RHEL 8.

But, rstudio server is failing to start. Any other leads to check and fix this issue...!

After checking, I have the hypothesis that could be the path

Meanwhile in your error, lib appears first.

Try to put urs/local instead urs/lib

In your installation the code=exited gives a Failure.
if you see, the problem is this failure with exit-code

Therefore, try a different installation path.

If this is not the problem, I dont know what could be. :pensive:
Sincerely hope this helps.

What do you mean by that? Did you compile your own version of R? If yes, did you use --enable-R-shlib during the configure step? See Posit - Install R from Source - Posit Documentation for our recommendations for how to compile R and Posit - Install R - Posit Documentation for appropriate binary builds.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.