Personally identifiable information (PII) is important. PII refers to emails, phone numbers, full names, IPs, and other information that offers a direct connection between a user and who they are in real life.
Guideline on sharing PII in topics:
- PII should only appear in user profiles.
- PII should not appear in topics or reply posts.
- If a user would like to refer to their personal information, we ask they do so with a reference to the information in their profile or via a private message.
- There are exceptions. For example: Consultants referring business, businesses with job posts, people who are aware of the guidelines but feel a need to give PII anyway.
- Please flag all cases where PII appears in a reply. If necessary, manually delete the offending information and let the user know.
Motivation for guideline:
- This guideline hopes to offer people better control over their personal information. PII only appears in one place, which can change or be deleted.
- Should someone wish to leave community.rstudio.com and remove their account, the default method is to anonymize the user and all posts. If one posted PII in a reply, they still have a link between who they are IRL and this anonymous user. (Users are free to delete posts, but they must do so manually.)