Fatal error: Unable to open the base package

My R base package have been deleted more than 10 times in the last 2 weeks. I always have to reinstall R and it works usually for a day and then it is gone! Is really strange. Any way to debug this? I am updating RStudio to the latest nightly build. I am currently running RStudio-1.4.456. Any ideas on how to debug this? Since it happens so frequently for me I can keep an eye. Thanks

Have you checked your computer for a potential virus? I am not sure that your problem is caused by RStudio.

Thanks. I have done a scan but have not found anything. My initial though was that the antivirus application was detecting the files in that directory as a threat but according to the history that is not the case.

I agree with @gueyenono, it is very unlikely that this is related to RStudio or even R in general but the only thing it cames to my mind that could be causing this behaviour from the R side of things is if you have conflicting code on a startup files (e.g. .Rprofile file) Do you remember had customized your startup files?

I am having the same problem. Last week, on two separate computers, I had to reinstall R because of "unable to open base package". Just now, the error happened again on one of those computers.

I don't know if it's relevant, but the RStudio project I am working on is on a mapped network drive, and the network often seems to be slow (but I would have thought the base library is on the local computer).

R has problems with network drives very often, you can check where your library is located by running this command

.libPaths()

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.