fenced div not working in LaTeX because of missing data-latex

Hi,

I used a fenced div in a R Markdown file without a data-latex attribute which then wrote to the LaTeX file

\leavevmode\vadjust pre{\hypertarget{hello}{}}%
Hello \textbf{world}!

rather than an environment \begin{hello}...\end[hello}.

Since I'am not a native english speaker, it was not clear for me from the R Markdown Cookbook that the attribute data-latex is required. Maybe the documentation could be clarified.

Thanks Sigbert

Thank for the feedback.

This is here:

We are saying

For LaTeX output, the first class name will be used as the LaTeX environment name. You should also provide an attribute named data-latex in the Div block, which will be the arguments of the environment. This attribute can be an empty string if the environment does not need arguments

Then we only show examples using data-latex for LaTeX output with Rmd.

How would you mentioned it differently ? What would make it more clear ?

Thank you

I spoke to a native English speaker and there is a difference between "should" and its usual German translation "sollte". I was told that "should" means it is required, but "sollte" in German means I am strongly encouraged to use it, but it is not mandatory.

As a native English speaker (Canada) "should" does not mean required. It seems to mean the same as "sollte".

The problem with the English language is that we have any number of dialects---sometimes close to mutually incomprehensible---plus a huge number of people whose first language is not English , all writing instructions.

Think of Prussia versus Bavaria or Switzerland and multiply by 50.

I am happy to take any advice on what to use. I am not a native english speaker, but I was taught and thought should was enough for require, as must was a bit too strong. But happy to use must instead if that makes thinks clearer.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.