Findpeaks in geom_points

Hello

I am new to Rstudio. I have currently created gg geom point plots more like a periodic graph of ecg. I would like to find R points. I have currently imported csv file while consists of time in column 1 and mV in column 2 and based on this table, I have created a plot.

ggplot(test3, aes(x = time, y = ekg)) +
geom_point() +
xlim(0,2)

I have found a function called findPeaks function to find a R points in this plot. How should I use this function to indicate R points in geom plot and store this mV values and time stamp of this mV values in another table?

Hi HelloWorld1 and welcome to the Rstudio community! Glad to hear you found you're way to Rstudio (and as it sounds you are also using R for the first time - R is the programming language, Rstudie the integrated development environment).

Usually it is common practice to also share the data, or at least a subset, so others can reproduce your steps. You can simply copy the output dput(your_data) so others can directly include it in their scripts.

Now to your question: I assume that you have a data frame consisting not only of two but three rows - otherwise your code owuld not work. So your data frame called test3 likely looks like this:

time | mv  | ekg
x1   | y1  | z1
x2   | y2  | z2
...  | ... | ... 
xn   | yn  | zn

If you are referrring to this function called findPeaks() from the {quantmod} package, it does calculate the peaks in your data before passing it to ggplot().

I have never used it before (I have expected that it returns the high values) but here you go:

library(tidyverse)
library(quantmod)

## some random data
test3 <- tibble(
    time = 1:10,
    mv = runif(10, 0, 1),
    ekg = rnorm(10, 0, 1)
  ) %>% 
  mutate(id = row_number())

test3
#> # A tibble: 10 x 4
#>     time     mv     ekg    id
#>    <int>  <dbl>   <dbl> <int>
#>  1     1 0.745  -0.0670     1
#>  2     2 0.766   1.10       2
#>  3     3 0.752   1.18       3
#>  4     4 0.941  -0.138      4
#>  5     5 0.358  -0.588      5
#>  6     6 0.0430 -0.918      6
#>  7     7 0.738  -1.33       7
#>  8     8 0.624   1.37       8
#>  9     9 0.243  -0.0739     9
#> 10    10 0.770   0.199     10

peaks <- findPeaks(test3$ekg, thresh = 1)

## either add as additional layer and overplot black points
ggplot(test3, aes(x = time, y = ekg)) +
  geom_point() +
  geom_point(data = filter(test3, id %in% peaks), color = "red")

## ... or add a column and map color to that:
test3 %>% 
  mutate(peak = if_else(id %in% peaks, T, F)) %>% 
  ggplot(aes(x = time, y = ekg, color = peak)) +
  geom_point() +
  scale_color_manual(values = c("black", "red"))

Created on 2020-06-29 by the reprex package (v0.3.0)

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.