First couple chapters show up but blank screen for others

Hi, all.

I am working off of some boilerplate files from Sean Kross and the "resources" files from Xie's bookdown page. I changed information in the index, output.yml, and bookdown.yml files for my project. I have the index file and then one .rmd file for each chapter of the book I'm putting together. Chapter files names all start with "01-, "02-," etc. and each chapter .rmd files begins with # Chapter. When I knit the document, everything looks good on the screen that pops up. I can successfully navigate through the first couple chapters, but, when I click on other chapters in the TOC on the left-hand side, I get a blank screen.

In the above, I can click through everything in "Before you read on" and "1 MCQs," but all other screens are blank. I feel like I'm missing something silly here. Any idea what's going on? Markdown in my chapters is all very simple... just # MCQs {#MCQs}, # Reading {#reading}, etc.

Thank you for any help!

Here is my bookdown.yml header.

book_filename: "Sakai Course Docs"
chapter_name: "Chapter "
output_dir: docs
clean: [packages.bib, bookdown.bbl]
new_session: yes

Here is my output.yml header.

css: style.css
split_by: chapter
collapse: subsection
before: |

  • Sakai Course Docs

  • after: |
  • Published with bookdown

  • bookdown::pdf_book:
    in_header: preamble.tex
    latex_engine: xelatex
    citation_package: natbib
    stylesheet: style.css

    Here is my index.rmd info.

    title: "Sakai Course Docs"
    author: "CAHP Team"
    date: "09-11-2020"
    df_print: paged
    description: Results of reviewing PCLN and SOM-Y1 Sakai course docs.
    documentclass: book
    link-citations: yes
    bibliography: book.bib
    site: bookdown::bookdown_site
    biblio-style: apalike
    url: null

    No errors or warnings in the build process?

    Do the HTML files for those latter chapters get created in the _book folder?

    Hi, jtbayly.

    I don't see any errors or warnings in the build process. I changed the folder name to "docs," but the html files do get created there. There looks to be one html file for each .rmd chapter.



    There's an .md and an .html file in "docs" for each .rmd chapter in the root file.

    Hope that helps!


    1 Like

    Hi, jtbayly.

    I think I'm all set! Everything started to work once I finally published the book to my RStudio Connect page. Viewing html files individually was okay, but, something wasn't happy when I tried to preview all html files before publishing them.

    Thanks for the help!


    Glad you got it figured out! I was stumped.

    This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

    If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.