Fitting trend-line on multiple plots using ggplot2

I have 4 time series plots on the same graph and I want to fit a trendline on all. I used ggplot and added the remaining two plots with the geom_line sub-function. When I used the geom_smooth function to fit the equation line, it only does it for the first graph leaving the other 2. Please, this is the link to the file I used for the code (https://drive.google.com/open?id=16k1cMMr1dthJOsppazVZ3cUCa1rRGF9m) and below is the code.

nf <- read.csv("F:/Project work/Publication/Under writing/Heat stress/nf_tas.csv", sep = ",", header = TRUE)
nf$date_mpi <- as.Date(as.character(nf$date_mpi))                                                                                 

nfu <- ggplot(data = nf, aes(x=nf$date_mpi, y=nf$mpi_nf))+  
  labs(title = "Annual temperature trends", x="Near-future projection", y="Temperature [°C]")+ 
  scale_y_continuous(limits = c(24,31)) +
  geom_line(aes(y=nf$mpi_nf, color='WRF-MPI-ESM MR'))+
  geom_line(aes(y=nf$hadgem_nf, color='WRF-HadGEM2-ES'))+
  geom_line(aes(y=nf$gfdl_nf, color='WRF-GFDL-ESM2M'))+ theme(legend.position = c(.1,.85))

nfu + theme(text = element_text(size = 12))
#> Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos): object 'nfu' not found

Created on 2020-03-22 by the reprex package (v0.2.1)

I'd appreciate if I could be assisted in this regard.

Hi @Mawuli, could you repost your code? I doesn't look like it came through.

1 Like

I am somehow unable to edit my earlier post so I've posted the code here please

nf <- read.csv("F:/Project work/Publication/Under writing/Heat stress/nf_tas.csv", sep = ",", header = TRUE)
nf$date_mpi <- as.Date(as.character(nf$date_mpi))                                                                                 

nfu <- ggplot(data = nf, aes(x=nf$date_mpi, y=nf$mpi_nf))+  
  labs(title = "Annual temperature trends", x="Near-future projection", y="Temperature [°C]")+ 
  geom_line(aes(y=nf$mpi_nf, color='WRF-MPI-ESM MR'))+ geom_smooth(method = "lm", se=FALSE, formula = my.formula)+
  geom_line(aes(y=nf$hadgem_nf, color='WRF-HadGEM2-ES'))+ geom_smooth(method = "lm", se=FALSE, formula = my.formula)+
  geom_line(aes(y=nf$gfdl_nf, color='WRF-GFDL-ESM2M'))+ theme(legend.position = c(.1,.85))
#> Error in ggplot(data = nf, aes(x = nf$date_mpi, y = nf$mpi_nf)): could not find function "ggplot"

Created on 2020-03-22 by the reprex package (v0.2.1)

I can't work with your exact same code since you haven't provided a proper REPRoducible EXample (reprex) illustrating your issue, but I have made this example with the file link you have shared.

library(tidyverse)
library(lubridate)

url <- "https://drive.google.com/u/0/uc?id=16k1cMMr1dthJOsppazVZ3cUCa1rRGF9m&export=download"
nf <- read.csv(url)

nf %>%
    mutate_at(vars(starts_with("date")), as.Date) %>%
    select(date_mpi, mpi_tas, hadgem_tas, gfdl_tas) %>% 
    gather(group, temperature, -date_mpi) %>%
    ggplot(aes(x = date_mpi, y = temperature, colour = group)) +
    geom_line() +
    geom_smooth(method = "lm", se=FALSE) +
    labs(title = "Annual temperature trends",
         x = "Near-future projection",
         y = "Temperature [°C]") + 
    scale_color_discrete(labels = c("mpi_tas"='WRF-MPI-ESM MR',
                                    "hadgem_tas"='WRF-HadGEM2-ES',
                                    "gfdl_tas" ='WRF-GFDL-ESM2M')) +
    theme(legend.position = c(.1,.85))
#> `geom_smooth()` using formula 'y ~ x'

1 Like

Andresrcs, you are a life saver. Thanks a lot.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hello Dromano

Thanks for flagging this across. The reprex has now be added.

Based on your introductory text, I was looking for a geom_smooth and I didnt see it in the code provided. Is there a second code showing your attempted use of it ? thanks

That's true. I have updated this now.

Hello guys, I posted a problem here 18 days ago which I've still not been able to resolve. Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated as I am in a fix at the moment. Many thanks