geom_hex is giving faulty outputs

Evening,

I'm teaching myself this stuff and I'm having an issue when I try to use geom_hex to make a heat chart. While I can make a chart that makes sense with 2DBin charts, the second I try to make the exact same chart with the exact same data using geom_hex it goes crazy when it tries to write the chart.

Is it a compatibility issue?

Here's my code, thanks.

library(ggplot2)
#> Warning: package 'ggplot2' was built under R version 4.2.2
library(ggplot2movies) 
library(hexbin)
#> Warning: package 'hexbin' was built under R version 4.2.2

pl <- ggplot(movies, aes(x = year, y = rating))
#Now I make it a 2DBox
p2 <- pl+geom_bin2d() 
print(p2 + scale_fill_gradient(high = '#0DE8EF', low = '#373C3D'))

##Output comes out fine.
#Try the same with hexbin
p2 <- pl + geom_hex() 
print(p2 + scale_fill_gradient(high = 'red', low = 'blue' ))

##Output comes out looking wonky as heck with a median that is indistinguishable,
## No distinguishable heat points. I tried to do the same think with another variable. 

pl <- ggplot(movies, aes(x = year, y = votes))
print(pl+geom_bin2d())
print(pl+geom_hex())

##Something isn't acting right for me.

summary(select(movies,year,votes))
#> Error in h(simpleError(msg, call)): error in evaluating the argument 'object' in selecting a method for function 'summary': could not find function "select"

Created on 2022-11-26 with reprex v2.0.2

This part is straightforward. Either

library(dplyr)

or

summary(dplyr::select(movies,year,votes))

Is rating discrete?

Appreciate the response:

Rating wasn't discreet. That's one thing that was confusing me. I can plot it just fine using one visualization (geom_bin2d), but under another, in the 'hexbit' package, it won't plot. I didn't know if it was a compatibility issue?

Thanks.

Can you post some representative data that reproduces this?

I am confused, which is not entirely unusual. Both geom_bin2d() and geom_hex() are from the {ggplot2} package, not the {hexbin} package. Do you have additional code using functions from the latter?

Thanks for getting back to me.

The representative data was included in the code.

I used the ggplot2movies dataset which is included in the libraries I included with my code. Once you call the movies dataframe it should reproduce the result...

Turns out though that it is a problem with the geom_hex function/ ggplot2 and not with hexbit.

You are absolutely correct. I checked the user documentation for hexbin, I was dead wrong. I rewrote:

library(hexbin)

x <- movies$year
y <- movies$rating

bin <- hexbin(x,y)

plot(bin)

That worked fine. Gave me a lovely hexagonal plot, which I can mess with, appreciate the assist. And it reproduced the plot from geom_bin2d().

So then any ideas why geom_hex()wouldn't return the same plot as geom_bin2d()?

Thanks!

My bad. Missed the library data. Glad you're on the right track.

Using the diamonds data set, which is the sample data used in the documentation for both functions. Look somewhat familiar?

library(tidyverse)

d <- ggplot(diamonds, aes(carat, price))
d + geom_bin_2d()

d + geom_hex()

Created on 2022-11-27 with reprex v2.0.2

This is interesting, clearly these 2 aren't the same, in geom_hex the density seems to be calculated row-wise (along the x-axis) in geom_2d, column-wise (along the y-axis).
On my computer (with ggplot2 version 3.3.6) it looks more similar:

# Diamond data
ggplot(diamonds, aes(carat, price)) + 
  geom_bin_2d()

ggplot(diamonds, aes(carat, price)) + 
  geom_hex()

The same applies to the example data:

# Bin2D
ggplot(movies, aes(x = year, y = rating)) + 
  geom_bin2d() +
  scale_fill_gradient(high = '#0DE8EF', low = '#373C3D')

# Geom Hex
ggplot(movies, aes(x = year, y = rating)) + 
  geom_hex() +
  scale_fill_gradient(high = '#0DE8EF', low = '#373C3D')

1 Like

This is issue #5044 for ggplot2 on github. A fix is in the works.

With some trepidation I installed a commit with the fix. After this test I will go back to the latest release and wait for an update.

library(tidyverse)

d <- ggplot(diamonds, aes(carat, price))
d + geom_bin_2d()

d + geom_hex()

Created on 2022-11-28 with reprex v2.0.2

Really glad I wasn't going crazy here,

Thank you all so much for taking the time to help. Sounds like there's an interim bandage discussed in issue #5044 for ggplot2 on github? I'm really not familiar with adding commits / git files at this point so I'm not sure I want to bother with that... Especially seeing now that if I actually use the syntax for hexbin I can make a workaround.

I'll just make a note to periodically check for an update I suppose... add into my notes where I can find the link for the commit / git syntax if I need to make a workaround for some reason..

Again , thank you so much... Matthias, EconProf, technocrat, much obliged.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.