GGPLOT Error Aesthetics must be either length 1 or the same as the data

I am getting an error when trying to plot a very simple data frame. It is saying Error: Aesthetics must be either length 1 or the same as the data (10): label

I also attempted to do a reprex here but am getting an odd error message. I'm unsure if this will work:

library(readxl)
library(ggplot2)
library(tidyverse)
library(ggrepel)
library(reprex)
library(readxl)
McDonalds_Restaurants <- read_excel("McDonalds & Restaurants.xlsx", 
    sheet = "QSR Companies")
View(McDonalds_Restaurants)
summary(McDonalds_Restaurants)
names(McDonalds_Restaurants) <- c("Company_Name", "Employee_Count", "Revenues_in_bn")
ggplot(McDonalds_Restaurants, aes(x = Employee_Count, y = Revenues_in_bn)) +
  geom_point(size = 5, color = "#0099f9")
ggplot(McDonalds_Restaurants, aes(x = Revenues_in_bn, y = Employee_Count)) +
  geom_point(size = 5, color = "#0099f9") +
  geom_label_repel(label = rownames(McDonalds_Restaurants$Company_Name), size = 3.5)

I think the problem is using rownames(McDonalds_Restaurants$Company_Name). You probably mean either rownames(McDonalds_Restaurants) or simply Company_Name.

Ok I changed it to just McDonalds_Restaurants but

1. the name's of the restaurants show up only as numbers
    The left side of my dataset does have them numbered but it doesn't appear to me that that is part of the dataset rather than just an R displayable feature when I view(McDonalds_Restaurants)

2. my Employee_Count axis shows the Employee_Count values as: 0e+00, 1e+05, 2e+05, 3e+05. Instead of 0; 100,000; 200,000; 300,00.

I even swapped which category was on the y-axis and x-axis to give the Employee_Count values more room

Can you please share a small part of the data set in a copy-paste friendly format?

In case you don't know how to do it, there are many options, which include:

1. If you have stored the data set in some R object, dput function is very handy.

2. In case the data set is in a spreadsheet, check out the datapasta package. Take a look at this link.

I followed the steps in the example. My Console says that there is a Reprex on the clipboard but this is all I am getting as an output:

No user-supplied code found … so we’ve made some up. You’re welcome!

sprintf("Happy %s!", weekdays(Sys.Date()))
#> [1] "Happy Sunday!"

Created on 2021-05-23 by the reprex package (v2.0.0)

That is not what I am asking for, I'm only asking you for sample data in a copy/paste friendly format, it is as simple as running this code and posting the output you get.

dput(McDonalds_Restaurants)

dput(McDonalds_Restaurants)
structure(list(Company_Name = c("McDonalds", "Starbucks", "Jack in the Box",
"Yum Brands", "Restaurant Brands", "Chipotle Mexican Grill",
"Wendy's", "Domino's", "Papa John's", "Dunkin Brands"), Employee_Count = c(205000,
349000, 5200, 34000, 6300, 83000, 13300, 13000, 16500, 1700),
Revenues_in_bn = c(21, 23.5, 1, 5.5, 5.6, 5.402, 1.3, 3.6,
1.6, 1.3)), row.names = c(NA, -10L), class = c("tbl_df",
"tbl", "data.frame"))

library(tidyverse)
library(ggrepel)

# Sample data on a copy/paste friendly format
McDonalds_Restaurants <- structure(list(Company_Name = c("McDonalds", "Starbucks", "Jack in the Box",
"Yum Brands", "Restaurant Brands", "Chipotle Mexican Grill",
"Wendy's", "Domino's", "Papa John's", "Dunkin Brands"), Employee_Count = c(205000,
349000, 5200, 34000, 6300, 83000, 13300, 13000, 16500, 1700),
Revenues_in_bn = c(21, 23.5, 1, 5.5, 5.6, 5.402, 1.3, 3.6,
1.6, 1.3)), row.names = c(NA, -10L), class = c("tbl_df",
"tbl", "data.frame"))

# Relevant code

McDonalds_Restaurants %>% 
    ggplot(aes(x = Revenues_in_bn, y = Employee_Count)) +
    geom_point(size = 5, color = "#0099f9") +
    geom_label_repel(aes(label = Company_Name), size = 3.5, max.overlaps = 3000)

Created on 2021-05-23 by the reprex package (v2.0.0)

Ok how do I get the Employee_Count axis to show the proper values instead of the 0e+00; 1e+05; 2e+05; 3e+05

I'd also like for the specific Revenues_in_bn to show for each restaurant when you hover over the point or label.. Is there a way to address that?

Never mind. Figured out the number formatting with the 'scales_y_continuous(labels = comma)' code

Not with ggplot2 for interactive graphics use plotly

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.