git authentication error in RStudio

All of a sudden RStudio is having difficulties with my ssh credentials.

When trying to push or pull in RStudio I get this error message:
'ssh_askpass: exec(rpostback-askpass): No such file or directory'

I am able to push or pull from the command line with no issues. I enter a command like git push, it prompts for a password and then it works.

When I look in RStudio Global Options | Git/SVN | SSH key the file path is correct and point to my ssh key. When I run through the ssh agent commands, all the outputs are correct. The key is active and the location matches up.

Operating system: macOS Monterey

What is causing this to occur? Why is RStudio not reading the ssh files correctly anymore?

1 Like

You can get more attention from the developers if you formally file an issue report on the GitHub repository

This sounds a lot like this issue: Error when creating a new project from Github repository on MacOS · Issue #11693 · rstudio/rstudio · GitHub

What version of RStudio are you using? (Go to Help -> About and click Copy Version Info, then paste here.)

That issue sounds like exactly what is occurring to me. I am using the version that is mentioned to be causing the issue.
RStudio Version:
RStudio 2022.07.1+554 "Spotted Wakerobin" Release (7872775ebddc40635780ca1ed238934c3345c5de, 2022-07-22) for macOS
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 12_4_0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) QtWebEngine/5.12.10 Chrome/69.0.3497.128 Safari/537.36

There are other people within my company who have hit this issue within the last 2 weeks. This is really helpful, thank you for the response!

1 Like

The work-around is to execute the git commands through the Windows/bash terminal.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.