When I use "# 10 Section" as a section heading in a github_document with "toc: true", the href in the table of contents link is "#section", and the href in the anchor is "#10-section", so the link from the table of contents doesn't work. Is there a way I can get table of contents links to work with sections that begin with numbers?
I believe this is currently a limitation from Pandoc which is doing the conversion.
Identifier can't start with a number
From : https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#extension-auto_identifiers
- Remove everything up to the first letter (identifiers may not begin with a number or punctuation mark).
Even for github specific extension (
gfm_auto_identifier) this happens.
This would be a feature request to Pandoc that it supports for GFM keeping the starting number.
It could also be considered as a bug in Pandoc maybe because the toc produced in markdown won't work for Github.
Oh in fact it make me dig into how it works and looking at https://groups.google.com/g/pandoc-discuss/c/c3LEmJEQCkk/m/5Oq6r2_SBwAJ
It seems it is something that should happen at the parsing phase. So if you do this, it works as expected
--- title: "Test" output: github_document: md_extension: +gfm_auto_identifiers toc: true --- # 10 Section Sentence.
I think we need to fix this in
Thanks a lot for the report!
I opened an issue to track
Thank you very much for the fix and for opening the issue. The RStudio Community is such a wonderful resource!
Thanks you very much for fixing the bug so quickly. I've installed the development version of rmarkdown, and it works perfectly.
Thanks to you for reporting this issue !
Without your question we would not have known this was an issue. You help us improve the package and I learn from looking into your question !
Thank you very much !
This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.