`gm_threads()` uses a different time zone than mail.google.com

I have noticed something strange when searching with {gmailr} for emails sent on a particular date. If I go out to mail.google.com and filter for e.g. "after:2020/8/2 before:2020/8/3", I get emails received on 2020/8/2 in my current time zone, central time (as expected). However, if I run gm_threads("after:2020/8/2 before:2020/8/3") from an R session, it appears to grab something like emails received between 8PM on 8/1 and 8PM on 8/2 central time. So the correct date, but in a time zone 4 hours different. Is there a way to specify time zone with gm_threads()?

Note: If I then call gm_date() for each of the IDs that I got, it gives the appropriate date in central time. So I do have a workaround, which is to pull two days at a time and filter out what I actually need. It seems wasteful though, and I'd like to understand what's going on.

I know I can't do a full reprex because we can't look at the same data, but let me know if more of my actual code would be helpful.

1 Like

I think you could provide a bit of code, for someone to investigate. But this seems like something that should be filed as an issue on gmailr.


This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.