gmailr and Shiny Server and authentication

Like many, I'm having trouble with the new authentication methods in the latest version of gmailr. After much gnashing of teeth I finally found pointers to how to create an app in google, download the json file, use gm_auth() to get the "secret", and if I run the following code in R studio:

gm_auth_configure(path = "gm_credentials/credentials.json")
gm_auth(email="email@domain.com", cache = ".secrets")

I can run gmailr mail functions successfully from the working directory I run the code in. (gm_credentials and .secrets are subfolders of the working directory). I can also, at that point, run shiny programs that use that working directory, but only locally in R Studio.

However, I cannot get any gmailr functionality working when the apps are run on Shiny Server. I've tried including the above code in the server.R file ("cannot get google credentials") and a million other things. I'm at a loss for what additional stuff needs to be added to satisfy the server.
Does anyone have a recipe for how to get gmailr to authenticate that works in the Shiny Server environment?
Thanks

I spend last night struggle in the same problem, and i got a solution here:

Hope this work for you.

Gretings!

Thanks for your reply. I have run into the issue you describe, with multiple tokens showing up in my cache that need to be deleted, but I still have one problem beyond that when I run it on the server.
Locally, the shiny program works fine, but when I access it from a browser it never makes it past the the call to gm_auth_configure(path = "path"). I've tried absolute paths. I've tried relative paths. I thought it might be a privilege issue, but the shiny user is the same as the local user. I am unable to see the error message generated by gm_auth_configure() so I don't know what's happening.
Thanks!

Now making it past gm_auth_configure but getting the dreaded "Cant get google credentials" when I try and run from the server and hit gm_auth(email="name.domain",cache=".secrets").

Is there any possible reason there would be a different secrets file when running from the server vs. running locally from R Studio?

Thanks

Given up and moved to emayili. A much simpler and more straightforward email package than either gmailR with its Java problems or gmailr with its oauth nightmares.

This topic was automatically closed 54 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.