Graphical device supporting additive color mixing?

Hi,

I am trying to find a way to draw plots using additive color mixing in R, but without success. In short, I would like to be able to draw a red circle and a green circle on a dark canvas, with the overlapping region appearing yellow.

My aim would be to draw graphics where the hue and intensity of a region can convey information about the overlap of different components better than when using transparency in pdf or png R graphical devices. For example, it would be nice to be able to draw figures similar to what is obtained in fluorescence microscopy, where the superposition of two red and green fluorescent markers results in yellow areas (see for example this image from Wikimedia).

Until now my search has returned no existing R device/package implementing this. Would anyone have any pointer as to how to do this in R? I am not against writing my own code to do this kind of color mixing on a raster image, but somehow it feels like I am probably not the first one trying to do this :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Google yielded this package I hadn't known about before, which isn't a graphics device but does implement additive mixing. Hopefully can help you progress...

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.