Help Using The Function pop.projection( ) In popbio Package to Calculate Stable Age Distribution Using a Leslie Matrix?

So I am working on using a Leslie matrix that I have created using the popbio package in R-Studio, and have succesfully created my Leslie matrix. I am asked in an exercise to now use the pop.projuction function out of the popbio package to calculate the stable age distribution using the Leslie matrix I created (les.mat). I was unsure of how to start so I started by typing ??pop.projection and see that there is something called-

stable.stage - "Estimate of stable stage distribution using proportions in last stage vector"

but I am unsure of how to properly use that stable.stage section with my Leslie matrix (les.mat) to get an estimated stable stage distribution. Here is the code I have tried in my attempt to see if I can figure out this stable.stage part of the pop.projection function.

Sx <- c(0.8,0.8,0.7969,0.6078,0.3226,0)
mx <- c(0,0,0.6,1.09,0.2,0)
n.0 <- c(100,80,64,51,31,10)

Fx <- mx    # fecundity values
S <- Sx        # dropping the first value
F <- Fx

les.mat <- matrix(rep(0,36),nrow=6)

les.mat[1,] <- F
les.mat

for(i in 1:5){
  les.mat[(i+1),i] <- S[i]
}
les.mat

pop.pro <- pop.projection(les.mat, n.0[-7], 50)
pop.pro

??pop.projection

stable.stage(pop.pro)

stable.stage(les.mat)

when I tried running stable.stage with my population projection (pop.pro) I got the error I'll state below-

Error in eigen(A) : non-square matrix in 'eigen'

However when I tried using stable.stage with my Leslie matrix (les.mat) I got an output that shows-

[1] 0.29786502 0.23816811 0.19043542 0.15167908 0.09214261 0.02970975

That code output looks promising to me because this population ecology exercise only provided data for age (x) from 0 years through 6 years and my stable.stage output gave me 6 different (% of population) values.

So I guess I am mainly wondering if using the stable.stage with my Leslie matrix (les.mat) is a correct way of getting an estimated stable age distribution, and if not is there some part of the code I might be missing, that I should be incorporating in when using the stable.stage or should I completely be ignoring that and somehow using the pop.projection function somehow? Before moving on in my analysis I want to try and make sure that the values I received from the stable.stage line of code I ran are correctly done. Thanks so much for anyone who takes the time to work with me on this!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.