Help with tidyverse

library(tidyverse)
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘tidyverse’ in loadNamespace(i, c(lib.loc, .libPaths()), versionCheck = vI[[i]]):
there is no package called ‘stringi’

no way to get tidyverse library loaded...... i want to use ggplot but i have this problems.
Im not expert in R ... but i have tried to get the stringi loaded
using:

install.packages("stringi")

Installing package into ‘C:/Users/SVP/Documents/R/win-library/3.4’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)

There is a binary version available but the source version is later:
binary source needs_compilation
stringi 1.1.7 1.2.2 TRUE

ERROR: compilation failed for package 'stringi'

• removing 'C:/Users/SVP/Documents/R/win-library/3.4/stringi'
    In R CMD INSTALL

Warning messages:
1: comando ejecutado '"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-34~1.4/bin/x64/R" CMD INSTALL -l "C:\Users\SVP\Documents\R\win-library\3.4" C:\Users\SVP\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmp8QQGOm/downloaded_packages/stringi_1.2.2.tar.gz' tiene estatus 1
2: In install.packages("stringi") :
installation of package ‘stringi’ had non-zero exit status

..... and then when trying use the library tidyverse

the same...

library(tidyverse)
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘tidyverse’ in loadNamespace(i, c(lib.loc, .libPaths()), versionCheck = vI[[i]]):
there is no package called ‘stringi’

Please any help about this....would be great""" im completly baffled about all of this and completly lost...

If you are installing on a windows computer, I know that my students had massive installation issues due to some sort of anti virus setting.

For each package it says it is missing, run e.g.

Until all packages needed are installed.

The secret is in the bit about a binary version being available but the source version is later. R is trying to download and compile the source because it's newer than the binary on CRAN. But you are lacking the tools to build from source. So you have two options:

1. install what's needed to compile from source
  2. tell R to ignore the source and just install the latest binary

I don't use Windows much, but I think all you have to install in order to compile packages is the latest RTools from here: http://cran.us.r-project.org/bin/windows/Rtools/

The other option is to tell R not to use the source and just grab the latest binary. You do this on Windows as follows:

install.packages("stringi",type="win.binary")
2 Likes

it works!
Thank you!!!
you are the best!

Greetings!

If your question's been answered, would you mind choosing a solution? (see FAQ below for a pictorial of how) It makes it a bit easier to visually navigate the site and see which questions still need help.

Thanks