How do I create a 'program' that I supply to a my supervisor who is naive in R?

I've created a 'program' with 4 R files that contain a dozen or so functions that parse out metadata from binary data files which is saved as CSV. My supervisor wants a copy of it to run so that I don't have to download hundreds of megabytes of data files just to provide the metadata. We both use macOS.

Without knowing any better I created my code as a new project with a script called 'main' that controls the code and I run it by 'sourcing' main. We have no server to put it on. I know how to add a directory picker GUI so that the user's only function is to start the program and pick the data directory. I write a bit of information using message() as the files are processed.

1 Like

I once ran into the same problem. My solution was to create a custom function so she only had to run 2 lines and with one parameter to edit, the file name.

Is this an opportunity to use Shiny? (run locally)
If you add a field for accessing a directory and file-path, as explained here:
then your supervisor need only input that information and you're done.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.