How do I prevent RStudio on Mac from asking to download command line tools for git

This problem pops up every year when a new batch of students enter the classroom. Quite a few of the ones that come in with a Mac, get the following pop-up when opening RStudio:
"For the command git command line developer tools are needed. Do you want to install them now?" (Dutch screenshot in attachment).

This year's example is on a MacBook Air (M1, 2020) with macOS Big Sur version 11.5.2 installed. I don't know why this happens. They don't need git, they don't need to build packages from source. It's a intro course statistics, so there's absolutely no need for those command line developer tools. I also don't know how to solve this, apart from clogging up their hard drive with a bunch of tools they're not going to use.

I have asked this before: Turn off git requirement on MacBook Pro - get rid of popup

It was mentioned that this pops up if you need to install a package from source, but this happens without any packages being installed, and it doesn't explain why on earth RStudio starts looking for git. So I'm still open for suggestions, it really drives me (and my students) insane.

RStudio's git integration is on by default. If you want to turn it off, go to Tools -> Options and uncheck Enable version control interface below:

Does that do what you want?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.