How much do I hate YAML?

Don't know why there isn't a 'Quarto' category so 'R Markdown'.

<rant>
I hate YAML about as much as I love Quarto, a lot. So here's a valid YAML block in my blog's 'index.rmd' file

listing: 
  contents: posts
  feed: true

Now I want to add an option to the 'feed' parameter.

listing: 
  feed: true
    type: full

This breaks because 'true' has to be removed as the feed generation becomes implicit when options are added. Okay, but it's dumb. How am I supposed to find that out, anyway?

And, what's with the dashes? What rhyme or reason? Using them here:

navbar:
    left:
      - text: Blog
        file: index.qmd
      - text: About
        file: about.qmd

doesn't parallel their usage here:

listing: 
  sort: 
    - "date desc"
    - "title desc"

...and silly stuff, like spaces/indentation matters in YAML. Fine, but it doesn't matter in the R langauge. A Python coder might assume it but I didn't.

I realize YAML isn't Markdown, but it is a major stumbling block to newcomers given the Quarto guides and tutorials all seem to assume basic YAML knowledge. Thank you for reading.

</rant>

2 Likes

Amen. I too have experienced the pain of YAML. In the past I have looked for a good reference card and was not able to find one. There is a weird lack of documentation for YAML compared to the good documentation for Rmd.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.