How precise is the Google Maps API when combined with Rtweet?

Hello,

I stumbled upon this issue recently on Github about scraping Twitter data by localisation by combining the rtweet package with the google maps API.

Approximately 1% - 2% of individuals share their location when they tweet. I have the same results in the "location" variable when doing a basic search_tweets() query with the rtweet package.

My question is the following: is there a guarantee, that combining the google maps API like the example on githbub, will yield more precise results in terms of localisation?

Will all the tweets I search for have a precise localisation instead of a NA value?

Or even better, can I improve this 1% - 2% localisation result when I search for tweets in a specific area when combining the google maps api with rtweet? or will I still have the same results when using rtweet and then filtering by location without using the google maps api.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.