How to add a new column in Data.table without generating warning message

When I want to create a new table in the new versions of data.table it generated an error which is annoying because I am logging errors and warnings in my shiny app

iris %>% setDT()
iris[,asdf:= '']
iris[,gsd:=character()]
iris[,':='(vik = character())]

All of these ways give me a warning message like this

> iris[,asdf:= '']
Error in assign(as.character(name), x, parent.frame(), inherits = TRUE) : 
  cannot change value of locked binding for 'iris'
In addition: Warning message:
In `[.data.table`(iris, , `:=`(asdf, "")) :
  Invalid .internal.selfref detected and fixed by taking a (shallow) copy of the data.table so that := can add this new column by reference. At an earlier point, this data.table has been copied by R (or was created manually using structure() or similar). Avoid key<-, names<- and attr<- which in R currently (and oddly) may copy the whole data.table. Use set* syntax instead to avoid copying: ?set, ?setnames and ?setattr. If this message doesn't help, please report your use case to the data.table issue tracker so the root cause can be fixed or this message improved.
> iris[,gsd:=character()]
In `[.data.table`(iris, , `:=`(gsd, character())) :
  Invalid .internal.selfref detected and fixed by taking a (shallow) copy of the data.table so that := can add this new column by reference. At an earlier point, this data.table has been copied by R (or was created manually using structure() or similar). Avoid key<-, names<- and attr<- which in R currently (and oddly) may copy the whole data.table. Use set* syntax instead to avoid copying: ?set, ?setnames and ?setattr. If this message doesn't help, please report your use case to the data.table issue tracker so the root cause can be fixed or this message improved.
> iris[,':='(vik = character())]
In `[.data.table`(iris, , `:=`(vik = character())) :

Please help if there is a new way to add an empty or normal column in a data.table

This is telling you that iris is locked.

If you use your own data, you should be ok, e.g. try this:

iris %>% setDT()
iris_copy <- copy(iris)

4 Likes

Package namespaces are locked, meaning the objects inside them can't be changed once they're loaded. Normally, R copies items to "edit" them, so changing package datasets doesn't have a problem: the dataset is copied, changed, and the new one masks the old.

address(iris)
# [1] "00000000141A7FB0"

## After adding a column, we're actually using a different iris dataset
iris[["f"]] <- 1
address(iris)
# [1] "0000000013E6F648"

However, data.table edits objects without copying them.

library(data.table)
library(magrittr)

address(iris)
# [1] "000000000A21D608"

## iris is still the dataset inside the locked namespace
iris %>% setDT()
address(iris)
# [1] "000000000A21D608"

Note that the data() function creates a copy of a dataset. So, if you use that first, you should be fine. In any case, it's the recommended way to lazy-load datasets from packages.

library(data.table)

address(iris)
# [1] "0000000008F70980"

data("iris")
address(iris)
# [1] "0000000008F44818"
4 Likes

@martin.R and @nwerth thanks for replying on the question. I had same kind of behavior on a current dataset as well.

It was just for reference I had this error in one of my shiny app. Where on adding the column same way it gave me.

Internal self reference error and something about creating a copy of the dataset. And it doesn't recycle values anymore and so on...

All I want to know is how would you add a column now in data.table. If you can just tell me that I would be fine.

Thanks in advance.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.