How to choose the layout argument in the ggraph() function

Hi everyone! I was hoping someone could help me visualizing a minimum spanning tree. The code works but I do not know how to choose some arguments. I have my data (genomics data from bacterial genomes) and I made a distance matrix. I then used this code to make the plot:

mst_tree <- igraph::graph.adjacency(distance_matrix, 
                                    weighted = TRUE) %>% 
  igraph::mst() %>% 
  as_tbl_graph() %>%
  activate(nodes) 
ggraph(mst_tree, layout = 'stress') + 
  geom_edge_link() +
  geom_node_point(color = 'steelblue', size = 7) +
  geom_node_text(aes(label = name)) +
  labs(title = 'cgMLST') + 
  theme_graph()

It works as expected and I get a nice tree. However, I am not very familiar with network analysis and visualization. The main doubt I have is with the layout argument in the ggraph() function. I simply do not know how to choose it. I tested few of the available layouts from igraph and at the end I decided to use 'stress' here based purely on the appearance of the final tree. However, I was wondering whether there is a proper/more scientific way to choose the layout. I looked for the descriptions of few of the layouts and I get the main idea of what they do but still do not know what the best or more appropriate one is for my data. I would appreciate some help or pointing out some comprehensive literature about it. Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.