How to cite reference in footnote

Try to put my reference in footnote, however Using ^ [@abbas2020] , in footnote treat @abbas2020 as text rather reference. Could anyone can help me fix this problem.

Which rmd format are you using ? html_document ?

Can you share a reproducible example ?

This works for me by inserting the citation in footnote too

---
title: 'citation in footnote'
output: html_document
bibliography: packages.bib
---

```{r, include=FALSE}
knitr::write_bib("knitr", file = "packages.bib")
```

See [@R-knitr]

We try something with citation in footnote^[Here is the citation. See [@R-knitr]]

# References

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I already set bibliography: bibliography.bib

I understood using [@abbas2020] to get reference from bibtex, but my problem is I try to put those reference in footnote rather in endnote.
Now ^[@abbas2020 ] footnote format treat those inside as text, and can't compile bibtex. So I wonder if there are other methods can put those reference in footnote.

Oh I misunderstood sorry.

Then this may be what you are looking for:

If you are using Pandoc citeproc for processing, you can change the CSL style to use a style which place reference in note. You can find some here:

If you want the all citation reference because you won't have a reference part at the end, I would use fullnote style. Here is an example where I used a url for the CSL (but you can download it locally too).

---
title: 'citation in footnote'
output: html_document
bibliography: packages.bib
csl: https://www.zotero.org/styles/chicago-fullnote-bibliography
suppress-bibliography: true
---

```{r, include=FALSE}
knitr::write_bib("knitr", file = "packages.bib")
```

See this citation [@R-knitr]

And we got:

Is this what you are looking for ?

In term of documentation this is mentioned here about changing style:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.