I run Rstudio 1.2.5042 and R 3.6.3 on Windows. I have code that consistently crashes R. It's essentially fread reading a large .csv file of around 3.2GB. This causes: "R Session Aborted. R encountered a fatal error. The session was terminated." I get no additional information.
I want to be able to debug this, to have some clue of where it's crashing. I want a stack trace, a core dump, a log - anything that can point me in the right direction. Things I've tried so far:
- run fread with verbose = TRUE - didn't see any problems
- checked the log file in %localappdata%\RStudio-Desktop\log - nothing gets added
- try RGui instead of Rstudio - same problem
- run code in R --verbose - it still crashes, and didn't print anything useful
- updated data.table - no change
- tried running R with --debugger - seems not supported on Windows
I finally managed to attach WinDbg to the R Session and got a fairly primitive stack trace (details here) but I wonder if there are better or faster ways of doing this?