How to debug an R session fatally aborting on Windows?

I run Rstudio 1.2.5042 and R 3.6.3 on Windows. I have code that consistently crashes R. It's essentially fread reading a large .csv file of around 3.2GB. This causes: "R Session Aborted. R encountered a fatal error. The session was terminated." I get no additional information.

I want to be able to debug this, to have some clue of where it's crashing. I want a stack trace, a core dump, a log - anything that can point me in the right direction. Things I've tried so far:

• run fread with verbose = TRUE - didn't see any problems
  • checked the log file in %localappdata%\RStudio-Desktop\log - nothing gets added
  • try RGui instead of Rstudio - same problem
  • run code in R --verbose - it still crashes, and didn't print anything useful
  • updated data.table - no change
  • tried running R with --debugger - seems not supported on Windows

I finally managed to attach WinDbg to the R Session and got a fairly primitive stack trace (details here) but I wonder if there are better or faster ways of doing this?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.