How to display data frame in separate window from #rstudio-ide

I recently upgraded RStudio to Version 2022.12.0+353 (2022.12.0+353) and it seems the new version has disabled a feature that I had been using frequently. That feature is the ability to click on the "Show in new window" button, after using the View(df) command, so the df appears in its own separate window. When I click on the button now, all I get is an empty window labelled RStudio Source Editor. Is this a bug and if so, can it be easily fixed? Is there another way to display a df in a separate window? Thanks.

Philip

Hi @PhilSmith26
I'm getting the same problem.
If I start RStudio and run View(mtcars) then I can see the dataframe in the "Show in new window" window. However, if I close that extra window and run View(mtcars) again, I cannot see the dataframe (the window has no contents).

> RStudio.Version()$long_version
[1] "2022.12.0+353"
> sessionInfo()
R version 4.2.2 (2022-10-31 ucrt)
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
Running under: Windows 10 x64 (build 22621)

Matrix products: default

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_Australia.utf8  LC_CTYPE=English_Australia.utf8   
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_Australia.utf8 LC_NUMERIC=C                      
[5] LC_TIME=English_Australia.utf8    

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base     

loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
[1] compiler_4.2.2 tools_4.2.2   
> RStudio.Version()$long_version
[1] "2022.12.0+353"

Sorry but I don't know how to fix this.

This is indeed a bug.

There's a fix in the daily version of RStudio (2023.03) if you'd like to try it out:

https://dailies.rstudio.com/

Thanks. I tried it out and it seems to work fine EXCEPT for one thing. When I click the "Show in new window" button the df opens in an external window just as it should. The font is very small -- too small for my old eyes - so I enlarge the font by using the key combination command+. This works fine too EXCEPT that it also increases the size of the font in my RStudio window, which I do not want since I have already sized it to suit me. This is problematic because I want to work in the RStudio window while viewing the external window. If I recall correctly, at one time one could increase the font size in the external window without affecting the RStudio window. Can that be corrected?

Probably another bug; feel free to file one!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.