How to enable Project Sharing on the quickstart VM and package persistence

I have downloaded the Rstudio Teams quickstart VM. The VM works great (as expected), but I have two questions:

1. How do I enable sharing the projects with another user? I tried to follow the steps by enabling acl (by editing /etc/fstab) and by activating project sharing in /etc/rstudio/rserver.conf. But I cannot share any project.

2. Whenever I restart the VM, the installed packages are lost/uninstalled again. Is this expected behaviour?

Thanks in advance,
David

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Woops! So sorry for the trouble here @DavZim ! This one totally fell through the cracks!!

I realize a whole bunch of time has elapsed here, so you may have moved on to other things. In any case, I wanted to be sure your questions were addressed:

1. Project sharing should be able to be enabled on the QuickStart, however, in RStudio 1.2/1.3, Project Sharing and the Job Launcher cannot both be active at the same time. As a result, in order to make Project Sharing work, you will need to disable the Job Launcher. In RStudio Server Pro 1.4, Project Sharing will work with the Job Launcher.

You can disable the job launcher by removing all of the "launcher" configuration settings in the rserver.conf file and then restarting the rstudio-server process (systemctl restart rstudio-server).

2. Losing installed packages definitely does not sound like the expected behavior! Sorry for the trouble there! Do you mind saying a bit more about which installed packages were getting lost / uninstalled, and how you were restarting the VM? If you "delete" and then "reimport," then you are essentially starting from scratch (which would explain losing packages). There should be a way to "stop" and "start," that should persist things though!

Please let us know if you have other questions and we will try to do a better job of responding in a timely fashion :smiley: You're also more than welcome to reach out to our sales team (sales@rstudio.com) if you'd like to set up some time to talk through your questions directly!! Hope that helps, and hope you are well! A lot has transpired in the last 3-4 months!

Hi Cole,

thanks for getting back to the issue! It fell through the cracks on my side as well (email got classified as junk...).

Good to hear that version 1.4 enables both job launcher as well as project sharing at the same time.

I cannot replicate the missing packages at the moment, as the license of the Teams VM has expired. I think I installed the packages as usual from the console, shut down the VM (Power off the machine in Oracle VM VirtualBox) and then started the VM again to find the packages gone.

I am already in contact with sales, thanks for the hint though.

1 Like