How to reorder Likert responses in plot

Hi RStudio Community,

Stuck on something and would appreciate any help.

Reading in a csv with 25 columns of Likert-type answers. The range of responses are: "Strongly Disagree","Disagree","Neutral","Agree", "Strongly Agree".

Likert plot looks like this:

My problem is with the ordering of the responses. It is alphabetic. I want to reorder it so that it matches the sequence above.

I have tried factoring the levels in my created Likert object, hr, using the following before plotting, but it has no effect on the order. Same plot is produced.

hr$levels <- factor(hr$levels, levels=c("Strongly Disagree","Disagree","Neutral","Agree", "Strongly Agree"),
                  ordered = T)

Can anyone shed some light on this frustrating problem? What I'm missing? I don't have much more hair to pull out.
Very appreciative of any suggestions.
Thanks everyone.
Kjd

Hi!

To help us help you, could you please prepare a reproducible example (reprex) illustrating your issue? Please have a look at this guide, to see how to create one:

Sure.
Here is a sample with comments.

# Here I run the following to read in my survey data
# itemshr <- read.csv("HR Survery Project - Likert.csv")

library(dplyr)
library(likert)

# Here is a simulation:
itemshr <- data.frame(stringsAsFactors = F,
                      Q2_1 = c("Strongly agree","Disagree","Neutral","Agree", "Strongly disagree"),
                      Q2_2 = c("Strongly disagree","Disagree","Neutral","Agree", "Strongly agree"),
                      Q2_3 = c("Neutral","Disagree","Strongly disagree","Agree", "Strongly agree"))

itemshr1 <- itemshr %>%
  mutate_if(is.character, as.factor)

names(itemshr1) <- c(
  Q2_1="I like my job",
  Q2_2="I feel confident in my job",
  Q2_3=" I would recommend my company")

hr <- as.data.frame(itemshr1)
hr <- likert(itemshr1)

# Viewing hr shows the Response order alphabetically
hr

# And here is the Likter plot, showing the same
plot(hr)

#I try to reorder the Response with the following, but it has no affect.
#I place this line after running hr <- likert(itemshr1).
hr$levels <- factor(hr$levels, levels=c("Strongly Disagree","Disagree","Neutral","Agree", "Strongly Agree"),
                    ordered = T)

#No difference to the Response order in the plot.
#I'm trying to place the disagree responses together, then neutral, then the agree responses together. 
#But I'm missing something because it doesn't change.
plot(hr)

Probably not the simplest solution, but I just created a function to set the levels in the correct order and applied it to each variable. I did not install the likert package to see if the plot is now correct.

library(dplyr)
#> 
#> Attaching package: 'dplyr'
#> The following objects are masked from 'package:stats':
#> 
#>     filter, lag
#> The following objects are masked from 'package:base':
#> 
#>     intersect, setdiff, setequal, union

# Here is a simulation:

factor_likert <- function(x){
  factor(x, levels = c("Strongly disagree", "Disagree", "Neutral", "Agree", "Strongly agree"))
}

itemshr1 <- itemshr %>%
  mutate(across(everything(), factor_likert))

str(itemshr1)
#> 'data.frame':    5 obs. of  3 variables:
#>  $ Q2_1: Factor w/ 5 levels "Strongly disagree",..: 5 2 3 4 1
#>  $ Q2_2: Factor w/ 5 levels "Strongly disagree",..: 1 2 3 4 5
#>  $ Q2_3: Factor w/ 5 levels "Strongly disagree",..: 3 2 1 4 5

Created on 2022-05-07 by the reprex package (v2.0.1)

A lambda function is simpler than defining a separate function:

library(dplyr)

# Here is a simulation:

itemshr1 <- itemshr %>%
  mutate(across(1:3, ~ factor(.x, levels = c("Strongly disagree", "Disagree", "Neutral", "Agree", "Strongly agree"))))

itemshr1
#>                Q2_1              Q2_2              Q2_3
#> 1    Strongly agree Strongly disagree           Neutral
#> 2          Disagree          Disagree          Disagree
#> 3           Neutral           Neutral Strongly disagree
#> 4             Agree             Agree             Agree
#> 5 Strongly disagree    Strongly agree    Strongly agree

Created on 2022-05-07 by the reprex package (v2.0.1)

Thank you so much for such an expert solution, EconProf. I tried and tried but couldn't see it. Works like a charm. Brilliant. Really appreciate it. KJD.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.