I updated my Rstudio from 3.3 to 3.6.3 and packages won't work

I'm using a Mac and my OS is 10.11.2. I always have a problem downloading packages that are vital to my work so I decided to update my Rstudio to 3.6.3 from 3.3.

Everytime I open packages (which are not a problem for me before), it shows this exact same error. As someone who has no background in coding, can someone please help me?

library(tidyr)
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘tidyr’ in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...):
unable to load shared object '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/library/dplyr/libs/dplyr.so':
dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/library/dplyr/libs/dplyr.so, 6): Symbol not found: ___cxa_uncaught_exceptions
Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/lib/libc++.1.dylib
Expected in: /usr/lib/libc++abi.dylib
in /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/lib/libc++.1.dylib

library(e1071)
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘e1071’ in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...):
unable to load shared object '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/library/e1071/libs/e1071.so':
dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/library/e1071/libs/e1071.so, 6): Symbol not found: ___cxa_uncaught_exceptions
Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/lib/libc++.1.dylib
Expected in: /usr/lib/libc++abi.dylib
in /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/lib/libc++.1.dylib

For RStudio to work properly on macOS, it requires a compatible version of R. For R to work properly on macOS, it requires a compatible version of macOS.

Outdated versions of the three will continue to work together, but the older the versions, the more likely the ecosystem dies when one is updated and the others are not.

A good rule of thumb is to keep everything on the same major point release. To synchronize up, a macOS user under 10.11.2, R (not RStudio) 3.3, should be at 10.15.6, R under 4.0.2 and RStudio under 1.3.1073. In addition, a macOS user unexperienced in program compilation should never respond yes to "a binary version is available, but a later source version" when installing or updating a package. Additional macOS components must be installed; even, then installation from source often fails.

Hey Richard,

I’ve uninstalled both R and Rstudio, downloaded R 3.6.3 and Rstudio for El Capitan.

It works now. Thanks so much!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.