IDE package update fails

This is in the Preview version, 1.2.1194. But I've noticed it in many previous versions. It seems like, when it pauses to ask me whether to compile some packages, it doesn't wait for the answer and then gets confused. Anyone else seen this? Is it a bug, or something in my config maybe?

install.packages(c("animation", "arules", "arulesViz", "backports", "bookdown", "brms", "broom", "callr", "CDM", "commonmark", "ddalpha", "effects", "emmeans", "FNN", "generics", "ggimage", "httr", "hunspell", "knitr", "labelled", "lava", "libcoin", "markdown", "MESS", "meta", "pdftools", "pillar", "prediction", "processx", "questionr", "RcppEigen", "readODS", "readr", "rio", "rmarkdown", "rpart.plot", "rsconnect", "rvcheck", "sfsmisc", "sm", "spData", "spelling", "StanHeaders", "survival", "TAM", "tweenr", "units", "visdat", "vtreat", "wrapr"))
Installing packages into ‘/Users/brian/RLibs’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
also installing the dependency ‘RcppArmadillo’

There are binary versions available but the source versions are later:
binary source needs_compilation
brms 2.6.0 2.7.0 FALSE
knitr 1.20 1.21 FALSE
sm 2.2-5.4 2.2-5.6 TRUE
spelling 1.2 2.0 FALSE
vtreat 1.3.2 1.3.3 FALSE

Do you want to install from sources the package which needs compilation? (Yes/no/cancel) install.packages(c("mgcv", "survival"), lib="/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.5/Resources/library")
Error in install.packages : Unrecognized response “install.packages(c("mgcv", "survival"), lib="/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.5/Resources/library")”

1 Like

As a workaround, I think placing your code within braces, e.g.

{
    install.packages(...)
}

will help alleviate the issue.

Sorry, I wasn't clear that the problem happens when I use the "Update" button at the top of the Packages tab in your GUI, then I do "Select All" and "Install Updates". If I just use the console to say "update.packages()", it works fine.

Ahh, interesting! Thanks for the extra feedback -- would you mind filing this as a bug report at https://github.com/rstudio/rstudio/issues?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.