Install dependency problem on opensuse15 with libxkbcommon-x11

Hello,

I'm running into problems when installing the Rstudio version 1.2.5033 on opensuse 15.1.

Rstudio requires the library libxkbcommon-x11. On opensuse there is a library which is called libxkbcommon-x11-0:

Problem: nothing provides libxkbcommon-x11 needed by rstudio-1.2.5033-1.x86_64
Solution 1: do not install rstudio-1.2.5033-1.x86_64
Solution 2: break rstudio-1.2.5033-1.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies

I assume that the same library is meant here. Since the library itself doesn't have the suffix "-0" at the end it might be ok to break the dependency:
/usr/lib64/libxkbcommon-x11.so.0.0.0

Any one else had the same issue?

Thanks for the help.

Apparently, this has shown up on other Linux platforms. On Pop!_OS 19.10 (an Ubuntu derivative), I couldn't actually find libxkbcommon in either /usr/lib64 or /usr/lib/rstudio/libs, but I did get a trace of the start-up libraries by

$ QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1 rstudio

Thanks technocrat for the Info.

Yes, the dependency of Rstudio on libxkbcommon-x11 has been defined correctly in version 1.2.5033. That's the reason why the installation on opensuse fails because it can't be satisfied. And this is my problem.

There is no package called "libxkbcommon-x11" available for opensuse. But there is a package called "libxkbcommon-x11-0" available. The name is slightly different but I assume both are referring to the same library. So the dependency can't be satisfied but it might be ignored safely because "libxkbcommon-x11-0" is installed. But this is my assumption and I thought that others might had ran into the same problem and could give advice.

1 Like

The libxkbcommon-x11 issue hasn't resurfaced on github since the issue was closed in the link I mentioned. If no other opensuse users chime in, the best I can suggest is to look for OS-specific packages like those shown in pkgs.org and try a reinstall and a path modification if needed.

The issue linked above (https://github.com/rstudio/rstudio/issues/4610) is different from the issue I experience.

The Rstudio package (rstudio-1.2.5033-1.x86_64) for opensuse has a wrong dependency. It depends on "libxkbcommon-x11" which doesn't exist under opensuse. It should be "libxkbcommon-x11-0". So a slightly different name. But you can see here https://pkgs.org/download/libxkbcommon-x11.so.0 that the package names differ for the distributions.

I'm not sure if the packager for Rstudio are reading this forum. Maybe I have to open up a ticket in gitub so that they can take notice.

I'll flag it, which may help.

They actually do, the development team gets notifications when you post in the RStudio IDE category, but you have to consider that we are on holidays.

You could try cloning the GitHub repo, modifying the requisite's installation script and compiling RStudio your self, this is usually the way to go with unsupported platforms or architectures.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.