install.packages("ellipsis") fails with Error in loadNamespace(i, c(lib.loc, .libPaths()), versionCheck = vI[[i]]) : there is no package called ‘rlang’

Hi,

Please find below the copy of a message I sent to the maintainer of the "ellipsis" pkg.

I was trying to install keras, from within RStudio. It failed. The error can be found below where I try to install again the package form the tmp download directory:

> install.packages("/tmp/RtmpTamOjs/downloaded_packages/ellipsis_0.3.0.tar.gz", lib="~/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.6/")
inferring 'repos = NULL' from 'pkgs'
* installing *source* package ‘ellipsis’ ...
** package ‘ellipsis’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
** using staged installation
** libs
gcc -std=gnu99 -I"/usr/share/R/include" -DNDEBUG     -fpic  -g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/r-base-k1TtL4/r-base-3.6.1=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g  -c dots.c -o dots.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -I"/usr/share/R/include" -DNDEBUG     -fpic  -g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/r-base-k1TtL4/r-base-3.6.1=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g  -c init.c -o init.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -shared -L/usr/lib/R/lib -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro -o ellipsis.so dots.o init.o -L/usr/lib/R/lib -lR
 installing to /home/gmuller/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.6/00LOCK-ellipsis/00new/ellipsis/libs
 ** R
 ** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
 Error in loadNamespace(i, c(lib.loc, .libPaths()), versionCheck = vI[[i]]) : 
   there is no package called ‘rlang’
 Calls: <Anonymous> ... loadNamespace -> withRestarts -> withOneRestart -> doWithOneRestart
 Execution halted
 ERROR: lazy loading failed for package ‘ellipsis’
 * removing ‘/home/gmuller/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.6/ellipsis’
 Warning message:
 In install.packages("/tmp/RtmpTamOjs/downloaded_packages/ellipsis_0.3.0.tar.gz",  :
   installation of package ‘/tmp/RtmpTamOjs/downloaded_packages/ellipsis_0.3.0.tar.gz’ had non-zero exit status

The error message says package rlang is not found. However, rlang is installed and can be re-installed, as shown below:

install.packages("rlang", "~/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.6/")
trying URL 'http://cran.univ-lyon1.fr/src/contrib/rlang_0.4.4.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 813413 bytes (794 KB)
==================================================
downloaded 794 KB

* installing *source* package ‘rlang’ ...
** package ‘rlang’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
** using staged installation
** libs
gcc -std=gnu99 -I"/usr/share/R/include" -DNDEBUG -I./lib/    -fpic  -g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/r-base-k1TtL4/r-base-3.6.1=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g  -c capture.c -o capture.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -I"/usr/share/R/include" -DNDEBUG -I./lib/    -fpic  -g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/r-base-k1TtL4/r-base-3.6.1=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g  -c export.c -o export.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -I"/usr/share/R/include" -DNDEBUG -I./lib/    -fpic  -g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/r-base-k1TtL4/r-base-3.6.1=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g  -c internal.c -o internal.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -I"/usr/share/R/include" -DNDEBUG -I./lib/    -fpic  -g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/r-base-k1TtL4/r-base-3.6.1=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g  -c lib.c -o lib.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -shared -L/usr/lib/R/lib -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro -o rlang.so capture.o export.o internal.o lib.o -L/usr/lib/R/lib -lR
installing to /home/gmuller/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.6/00LOCK-rlang/00new/rlang/libs
** R
** inst
** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
** help
*** installing help indices
*** copying figures
** building package indices
** testing if installed package can be loaded from temporary location
** checking absolute paths in shared objects and dynamic libraries
** testing if installed package can be loaded from final location
** testing if installed package keeps a record of temporary installation path
* DONE (rlang)

The downloaded source packages are in
	‘/tmp/RtmpLFYVMQ/downloaded_packages’

Still, the installation of the ellipsis pkg fails....

The paths seem to be correct:

.libPaths()
[1] "/home/gmuller/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.6" "/usr/local/lib/R/site-library"                   "/usr/lib/R/site-library"                         "/usr/lib/R/library"             

I don't understand this error. I search on my preferred search engine, and couldn't find a solution. All the people that encounter a similar error message seem to indeed lack a package and solve the problem simply by installing the missing dependency.

It is not my case. The package is here.

I tried to debug/trace the installation function, but with no success... For instance I cannot manage to access the content of: versionCheck = vI[[i]]

I managed to make my installation work by installing the version of ellipsis that comes with my distribution (XUbuntu: apt install r-cran-ellipsis) and now even the first command (> install.packages("/tmp/RtmpTamOjs/downloaded_packages/ellipsis_0.3.0.tar.gz", lib="~/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.6/") ) works!

I'm totally lost here of what the problem actually is, but there might be a problem in the declarations of the dependencies (or dep versions) needed by ellipsis?

Best Regards,

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.