install.packages('ks') fails

GitHub Action fails with ""there is no package called 'ks'", even though I added "install.packages('ks')" to "sos/R-CMD-check.yaml at master · sbgraves237/sos · GitHub" in three different places, where it seemed to fit with other calls to "install.packages". ('ks' is on CRAN, and this package passes R CMD check on my own Mac as well as Windows and ubuntu (both 'release' and 'devel'.) Suggestions? Thanks, Spencer Graves

I don't have any suggestions, but experienced the same issue. In my case a GitHub Actions for a PR on 21.05.21 ran okay, but when merging the same PR today failed with the message "there is no package called 'ks'"
(Merge pull request #33 from activityMonitoring/minor-improvements · activityMonitoring/epicoda@35cac7b · GitHub).

(Note: I've since rerun the earlier workflows while trying to understand what was going on, so it may no longer be clear it was passing previously).

I did a straight

install.packages("zip")

at it installed and loaded.

I did get a strange warning message

install.packages("zip")
Warning in install.packages :
  unable to access index for repository https://cloud.r-project.org/src/contrib:
  download from 'https://cloud.r-project.org/src/contrib/PACKAGES' failed
Installing package into ‘/home/john/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/4.1’

but it went on and worked.

I don't have an answer, but I've made some progress with help from Duncan Murdock via the R-PKG-DEVEL email list. His comments included saying, that ks imports plot3D, which imports other things that ultimately need XQuartz', and XQuartz is what's missing. I could not figure out how to get XQuartz installed. However, he also said that ks was required by fda, and I was using only one function from fda. I copied that one function and deleted references to fda. Now I'm struggling with other problems. You might try to figure out what calls ks. Good luck. Spencer

1 Like

Thanks, that's really helpful! I think I can avoid the install too, and reading through those messages gave some more clues.

This topic was automatically closed after 45 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.