Installation- non-UTF8 locale MacBook

Hi, I'm new here, so sorry if I make sth wrong by posting this... I couldn't find the answer while reading other posts.

After installing R on my MacBook, I got warning: you're using a non- utf8 locale.... and then when I'm trying to install the packages- I can't do that.
My understanding is that I have some discrepancies regarding settings in my Mac- I use Polish fonts too- but I'm working partly Europe, partly US, and don't want to change the settings if not necessary.

Somebody advised me to "force" R to not take locale from the system by using this command: defaults write org.R-project.R force.LANG en_US.UTF-8

It didn't work though - R says Error: unexpected symbol in "defaults write"

help me please, I'm totally new to R

Hi @dkosso,
The advice given to you to set defaults write org.R-project.R force.LANG en_US.UTF-8 is done via command line in a terminal app for mac os x, completely outside of R. What this does is set user-level defaults for some specified application. The terminal app bundled with mac os x is in /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.

hth

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.