installation of package ‘tableone’ had non-zero exit status

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to install "tableone" package. It fails in the last steps and I receive these messages all over again. All downloads are being removed. Can anyone help with this problem? I really appreciate it.

P.S.: could that be because of my mac-OS? I am on high Sierra and did not upgrade it yet. I am using the latest version of R Studio which is Version 1.3.1056.

These are the error lines I receive upon installing the package:

../libtool: line 1099: ERROR:: command not found
make[2]: *** [libutil.la] Error 127
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘nloptr’

• removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.5/Resources/library/nloptr’
    Warning in install.packages :
    installation of package ‘nloptr’ had non-zero exit status
    ERROR: dependency ‘nloptr’ is not available for package ‘lme4’
  • removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.5/Resources/library/lme4’
    installation of package ‘lme4’ had non-zero exit status
    ERROR: dependency ‘lme4’ is not available for package ‘lmerTest’
  • removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.5/Resources/library/lmerTest’
    installation of package ‘lmerTest’ had non-zero exit status
    ERROR: dependency ‘lmerTest’ is not available for package ‘tableone’
  • removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.5/Resources/library/tableone’
    installation of package ‘tableone’ had non-zero exit status

The downloaded source packages are in
‘/private/var/folders/tl/684klf3j1_9b5g29v1vkq4rm0000gn/T/RtmpzcCEHY/downloaded_packages’

For macOS, R packages come in two flavors: binary and source. Whenever presented with a choice, choose binary. If installing from source with the proper configuration, you can still expect many failures.

To fix this, you would need XCode from the app store at a version compatible with High Sierra, install its command line tool

$ xcode-select --install

On the Linux distributions, packages are installed from source by default and mainly just compile fine. Under macOS, it can be a challenge.

Thanks!
I could not use Xcode because I cannot upgrade my laptop yet. However, this problem kind of resolved by itself. I am not sure what exactly happened but I tried not to install the package from its source, and it worked. Just as you mentioned in your comment.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.