Installing R and R Studio in Classrooms

Dear all,

I am teaching R using R Studio for several years now. Every year I suffer from the same problem. The IT personnel in my academic organization installs R and R studio in a few classrooms, and then in the middle of the year R version changes, and sometimes some packages stop working. For example, once R 3.6.0 came out, the tree package for decision trees stopped working on previous R versions which I had installed.

PC's in the classroom are locked for security reasons, only IT personnel can install software and they do it once a year at most, so updating R during the academic year is not feasible, and I end up with an R version that I can't properly work with. For example, last year I ended up with R 3.5.2 and packages such as tree that cannot be installed.

I wanted your advise, what is the best way to teach R in a classroom, without the need to constantly updating R and it's packages ? Updating R every year frustrates my IT team.

If we assume that I cannot install every possible package in advance and then just lock the PC (you always want to add more), and assume that some packages will change with the R version, I currently need to keep updating R or give up on some material, which doesn't make sense, either way.

I did some reading and I am thinking that maybe RStudio cloud is what I need. Is this the best tool, is there another option ?

Thank you in advance !

Rstudio Cloud sounds good for you. also you could use the renv package with your projects, so that when a new class comes to work with R, renv will load the version of the packages that worked previously, (and not newer packages with changed requirements)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.