Data Scientist - Invesco
paid / North America, remote / full-time
Principal Data Scientist in Houston, TX, US | Invesco Careers
The job opening is actually for all levels of hire, and we are open to remote work -- although we have Data Scientists currently in NYC, Atlanta, Houston, and Denver.
Knowledge of finance/investments is a plus, but not a requirement.
Our mission is to create world-class, client-centric technology solutions that drive competitive advantage, grow our global business and deliver an investment experience that helps people get more out of life. This mission is fueled by inventive and cohesive teams, which thrive on collaboration and shared trust, and leverage diversity of thought. Our success is driven by our people, which is why we invest heavily in our talent, promoting continuous learning and development, offering opportunities to work with emerging technologies and creating the space to discover.
Our high-performing, OneTech team is seeking candidates who innovate, operate effectively in an agile environment, challenge the status quo, and are driven to succeed.
We’re a leading independent investment management firm seeking a globally minded Principal Data Scientist to spearhead development and innovation with our Disruptive Technologies team. As a financial services company, data is our lifeblood. Seriously, we deal in numbers and data all day, every day, but in this position, you won’t be crunching regular ol’ market data; you’ll be responsible for trying to combine financial data with AI models and emerging tech to create something new and exciting in the world of FinTech.
Sounds intense, right?! It is, but you’ll also have incredible opportunities for experimentation, so before you submit your application, here are some other things you should know about the position:
Invesco isn’t for everyone. Everything we do, we do to deliver a superior investment experience, and excellence is par. Our Technology team operates under a OneTech mindset, so we are a highly collaborative crew. That being said while you may be a lone mad scientist with forward-thinking ideas, that won’t fit with the collaboration culture we value to develop the products we provide. In this position you’ll be expected to translate your ideas to your team and motivate them to execute, and to execute at the pace of technology —FAST. This position will be well-suited for someone who is a dreamer and executer who values speed and innovation. Do you love your work in data? Good, because this position will be demanding and will challenge you in the best ways possible, and we expect that if you truly love what you do, this position will enable you to do amazing things.
You will be responsible for:
- You like Big Data, and you cannot lie. This is essential because you will be responsible for designing, developing, and implementing Big Data platforms using Cloud architecture with structured and unstructured data sources. You will be our proverbial data Zen garden — you’ll be responsible for bringing clarity to the chaos.
- You can bring the complex algorithms your dreams are made of and make them a reality, and you can easily analyze and translate the complex models and algorithms of others’ dreams.
- Perform machine learning and statistical analysis methods, such as classification, collaborative filtering, association rules, sentiment analysis, topic modeling, time-series analysis, regression, statistical inference, and validation methods
- Analyze and model structured data using advanced statistical methods and implement algorithms and software needed to perform analyses
- Build recommendation engines, sentiment analyzers and classifiers for unstructured and semi-structured data
- Perform explanatory data analysis, generate and test working hypotheses, prepare and analyze historical data to identify patterns
- Design rich data visualizations to communicate complex ideas to customers or company leaders
- Utilize state-of-the-art methods for data mining
- Extend IVZ data with third party sources of information, as required
- Process, cleanse, and verify the integrity of data used for analysis
- Perform ad-hoc analysis and present results in a clear manner
The experience you bring:
- 10 to 15 years professional experience
- 4+ years in financial services preferred
- 7+ years of experience with top-tier firms in big data analytics, management consulting, or comparable role in corporate setting
- 4+ years of experience with machine learning
- 5+ years of experience with SQL
- Excellent understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as k-NN, Naive Bayes, SVM, Decision Forests, etc.
- Good applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.
- Extensive predictive analytics experience with Python
- In-depth knowledge of statistical software packages (e.g. SAS and R)
- Experience with data visualization tools
- Experience with big data technologies such as Hadoop, R, and Java / MapReduce
- Experience with NoSQL databases, such as MongoDB, Cassandra, HBase, DynamoDB
- Experience with data and machine learning services using Azure, Amazon Web Services (AWS), and / or Google Cloud
- Familiar with Agile software development (Scrum is a plus)
- DevOps knowledge is a plus
Skills / other personal attributes required:
- Comfortable working with ambiguity (e.g. imperfect data, loosely defined concepts, ideas, or goals) and translating these into more tangible outputs
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Self-motivated. Capable of working with little or no supervision
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Enjoy exciting and thought provoking work and have a strong desire to learn and progress
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and requests
- Must demonstrate a positive, team-focused attitude
- Ability to react positively under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Good inter-personal skills combined with willingness to listen
- Structured, focused approach to work, with attention to detail
- Flexible – able to meet changing requirements and priorities
- Maintenance of up-to-date knowledge in the appropriate technical areas
- Able to work in a global, multicultural environment
FORMAL EDUCATION: (minimum requirement to perform job duties)
- PHD of Statistics, Computer Science or other similar advanced degrees from a top tier educational institution preferred
What’s in it for you?
Our people are at the very core of our success. Invesco employees get more out of life through our comprehensive compensation and benefit offerings including:
- Flexible time off and opportunities for a flexible work schedule
- 401(K) matching of 100% up to the first 6% with additional supplemental contribution
- Health & wellbeing benefits
- Parental Leave benefits
- Employee stock purchase plan
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The job holder may be required to perform other duties as deemed appropriate by their manager from time to time.
Invesco's culture of inclusivity and its commitment to diversity in the workplace are demonstrated through our people practices. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, citizenship status, disability, age, or veteran status. Our equal opportunity employment efforts comply with all applicable U.S. state and federal laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
Apply to this position: Message me or email
Alan.Feder@invesco.com, and I can "refer" you directly, and pass your resume on.